DIY vs Professional Services
Should you hire a professional to develop your company’s website, logos, and ads? Or can you simply do-it-yourself? It really depends a lot on your personal goals… and your technical skill level. Here are some of the most important points to consider.
What’s in a Brand?
What should your website achieve? What should your logo achieve? Your website and logo are a part of your brand; your company’s identity in the minds of the consumer. Websites serve to convert individuals into customers, by providing the information that they need to commit. Logos help your customers identify with your brand, and consequently build a relationship with your brand.
There’s a lot that goes into all of this. Websites need to be user-friendly and technically competent, so customers can commit to a purchase quickly and find the information they need. Brands need to be able to build up trust and a rapport with a customer, often through the content delivered through their websites and their social media accounts. Logos need to be easily read, easily identified, easily reproduced, and — perhaps most of all — consistent.
But can this be done on your own?
Should You DIY Your Design and Development?
In terms of design and development, there are some major benefits to using a professional:
- Professionals are current on modern web and logo standards. Appearing dated can reduce a customer’s faith in you, making it difficult to represent yourself as a modern business.
- Professionals understand marketing. They are able to help you get more customers faster, which often more than mitigates the cost of hiring a professional to begin with.
- Professionals can complete the job quickly. Because they are knowledgeable, a professional can often complete a job muchfaster than you can. Your time is worth money.
- Professionals are able to maintain their work. If you have problems with your website, a professional can fix it. Otherwise, you may need to hire a professional for maintenance later on regardless.
- Professionals can give you advice. A professional will be able to advise you on your branding, logo, and website design, giving you insights into the user experience that you may not have.
- Professionals have better tools. Professionals often spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on tools that they can use to create a better design for you; it would be prohibitively costly for you to purchase these yourself.
In short, though it is possible for you to “DIY” your own development and design, it’s usually not advisable. Professionals are professionals for a reason: they know the in’s and out’s of building a brand, and are able to develop a solid foundation that you can build on.
When it comes to DIY, there are a lot of mistakes that you could make that could cost you a lot of money. Something as simple as having a poor mobile platform could cut out as much as half of your audience.
Remember: building a brand takes time. Unless you’re confident in your abilities, it’s better to get your branding done right the first time. Otherwise, you’ll simply have to re-brand later on: a costly and time-consuming process.